The inaugural Commonwealth Chemistry Congress in Trinidad and Tobago was postponed until sometime next year, but this summer the Royal Society of Chemistry hosted a virtual poster… Read more “Amanda wins a prize at Commonwealth Chemistry – Partnership for the Goals”
This Fall we have plenty of new faces joining our group! Phung Nguyen, our first graduate student, started her Masters in Chemistry this Fall. We also have… Read more “Welcome new group members!”
It’s been difficult to keep this news under wraps… the Government of Canada officially announced the NSERC Discovery Grant results, and our research program was funded! We’ll… Read more “Our research is now funded by NSERC!”
chemistry education research
CER is an interdisciplinary field combining chemistry theory,
educational research, and the psychology of learning.
Our group explores three main areas…
Building mental models of a reaction mechanism: the influence of static and animated representations, prior knowledge, and spatial ability
Bongers, Beauvoir, Streja, Northoff, Flynn.
Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2020 21 (2), 496-512
Is Learning Scale Free? Chemistry learning increases EEG fractal power and changes the power law exponent
Bongers, Flynn, Northoff.
Neuroscience Research (in press).
Working with mental models to learn and visualize a new reaction mechanism
Bongers, Northoff, Flynn.
Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2019 20 (3), 554-569
Publications: 2018 and earlier
- Intermolecular Aminocarbonylation of Alkenes using Concerted Cycloadditions of Iminoisocyanates.
Journal of Organic Chemistry 2017 82(2) 1175-1194
- Synthesis of Cyclic Azomethine Imines by Cycloaddition Reactions of N-Isocyanates and N-Isothiocyanates
Organic letters 2016 18(15), 3778-3781
- Kinetic resolution of azomethine imines by Brønsted acid catalyzed enantioselective reduction
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2015 54(51), 15516-15519
- Modular Synthesis of Pyrazolones Using an Alkene Aminocarbonylation Reaction
Organic letters 2015 17(14), 3612-3615
- A tunable route for the synthesis of azomethine imines and β-aminocarbonyl compounds from alkenes
Journal of the American Chemical Society 2012 134(39), 16111-16114
Please email Prof. Bongers with your CV if you are interested in joining our group!